4.13.2014

10 Thoughts on Haiti, Mid-Trip

saturated canary digis 
saturated canary digis 
saturated canary digis 
saturated canary digis 

10 mid-trip thoughts on the Help One Now Haiti bloggers trip:

1.  You all-- Haiti is beautiful. I love the long pink ribbons tied in the little girls' braids.  And the way the sheets hanging in the doorways blow in the wind.  The little people's bare feet, all dusty and worn.  Even in the broken down places, there is this cultural beauty that I want to bottle up and bring home to share with everyone.  And the  landscape literally takes my breath away.

2.  Driving in the back of a SUV in Haiti also takes my breath away.  There are no road rules, just horns.  I know a lot of people who travel are not phased by this because they have seen it in other countries, but I have not.  So I am both freaking out and totally mesmerized.  There is not a single trace of road-rage, but everyone is cutting everyone off...Incredible.  Haiti can cure road rage peeps.

3.  There are true and worth-emulating leaders here.  Americans should be getting on airplanes to learn from them.  They are changing their homeland and have the most faithful hearts you can find. 

4.  Worship is worship.  It doesn't matter that I did not understand a word of their music this morning in church.  The tunes were familiar...but the words, so different.  And yet, my heart felt like it might overflow with praise for my King.  All our hearts connected, even with real barriers like language and culture between us...just worshiping God.  That is holy stuff.

5.  Haiti people are beautiful.  

6.  I still hate airplane rides.  It does't seem to get better with each ride, either...I am a mess, so pray for me.  PLEASE.  (Wednesday I have three flights.  Yikes.)

7.  Help One Now is the most intentional organization I have ever leaned into with my heart.  I knew before going on this trip that I loved their work.  But, seeing it on the ground...hearing real, live people tell us about the changes they have achieved with the backing of this organization-- I want to grab all my friends and tell them to get on board with this.  

8.  I have so much to learn from the ladies on this trip with me.  They are further down the path of leadership and loving others well...and I am running -- running-- after their words and conversations, just trying to absorb all the wisdom in these women.  This team is amazing.  

9.  Some moments I think, Am I really in Haiti right now?  I grew up liking the comfort of a hard wooden pew in a church that really offered very little outreach to the world around them (and my heart, if I am honest with you, liked words better than action anyways).  It is easy to wish goodness to others, to think Christian words like "mercy", "justice", and "hope" without ever having to go there and wrap those words together in "experience."  God get us out of wooden pews and religious places and heart-stances that wish the world better.  This trip, at times, has been uncomfortable for me, but I am so uttery thankful for it.  Living in a comfort zone is not really living, friends.  

10.  We played with kids from the school Help One Now built with a local pastor today.  They loved my tattoos.  And my iPhone.  And the videos of my kids I played for them.  All these little people clinging onto pictures of my regular life, pointing and giggling.  Little hands trying to trace and rub away my tattoos.  Braiding my hair.  Holding my hands.  I could have played with them the rest of the trip.  This was my most favorite part yet.  Seeing the love and genuine relationships between Help One Now's people and the people here.  Tears were cried.  Hearts were full.  This is goodness overflowing. 


saturated canary digis 

Click over to the Help One Now site for ways YOU can help them do their work in Haiti.  This is a creative and different org altogether, friends.  So there are various and unique ways you can get involved. 

27 comments:

  1. I can see and hear what you're writing and feel it in my spirit. Thanks for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so awesome, friend.
      Thank you for leaving such a wonderful piece of encouragement!
      Haiti is hard to put into words....so I am thankful to know you felt my heart!
      x

      Delete
  2. Oh Krista what a precious time for you and your family - I am sure God will use the impact this trip has had on you to grow you all.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think so too Maxine! I love that you included my family in this because it has definitely been a learning process for us all- even though they are at home. I think it has been such a blessing from the Lord! xx

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post Krista, beautiful photos too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krista! I found your blog because of the Haiti trip, and I just wanted to say hello... and that I'm keeping you guys foremost in a running conversation with God today... and that I'm looking forward to more of your "note-taking" (how I love that description of what you do here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany!! I appreciate the prayers during the trip...I need them. :) And so glad you left a comment so I could say 'hello'!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this Post. I love the spirit in all your words, you are so amazing.
    God bless you
    Hugs Elfie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elfie, thank you sweet friend. This Haiti trip means so much to me and it is good to know that I am communicating that well to others. Such an encouragement!

      x

      Delete
  6. wow oh wow! Praising God that you heart is there - right in the middle of His heart! Your #9 was beautiful.. preach it!! Praying for you - and so proud of you for going!
    Love the photo of y'all there.. only bloggers can be so stylish on the mission field - didn't even recognize you in those shades till I saw Johnny on your arm ;o)
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I love you.

      And you can be honest...My big ars forehead threw you off, not the glasses;). I usually hide that sucker behind some bangs, but Haiti is too hot for cute hair:).

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this precious time in your life. I love the way the post has captured the experience you are having. Many can talk about doing good things but you are doing it and at the same time receiving something good. I am so proud of you. Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina, thank you for the sweet encouragement. It really warms my heart to know that some of my readers have an investment in who I am and the things that matter to me! What a blessing!

      Delete
  8. Loved your post Krista and the photographs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista your post os so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. Haiti is a beautiful place.

      Delete
  10. Love you Krista... and I will be praying for the Lord to fill you with His love as you are an ambassador for our Lord Jesus Christ --- May God be glorified <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you and am praying for you --- May God fill you with His joy and wisdom as you love others lavishly. I am proud of you!!!! You are an ambassador for our Lord Jesus Christ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you girl <3 You encourage me so much, I cannot even tell you! Seriously.

      Delete
  12. Bless your beautiful soul Krista. This is a wonderful thing you're doing. Love and thoughts with you for the flights x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really very much appreciate that, Wendy. I will need the good thoughts streaming in, lol...Flying just puts a knot in my stomach and a lump in me throat :)

      Delete
  13. Are you there with with Scott Wade? He and his wife, Tiffany, are some of my favorite people. I'm kinda jealous he gets to meet you in person though.
    What an amazing experience you're having. So happy for you.
    ~Heather Clark~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He has the most beautiful photos...Watching him work is pretty cool and the kids really love him:). Also, his beard and hair situation is kind of amazing.

      Delete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...